There have been some reports where the TeX Live installation fails. It's not clear why this happens on some systems. There is an alternate TeX installation that can be used with SW. Use the following steps to use MiKTeX instead of TeX Live. This applies only to Windows.
- Visit www.miktex.org/download and download and install using the Basic MiKTeX Installer. If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, you can use the 64-bit version of MiKTeX.
- During the MiKTeX installation there will be the opportunity to select Letter or A4 paper size and to select "On the fly package install". Make the paper size selection that best fits your situation, and be sure to select Yes for the "On the fly package install" selection.
- Follow the rest of the screen prompts to complete the MiKTeX installation.
- Run the SW installer. During the installation, turn off the TeX Live Network install check box.
- Allow the SW installer to complete.
- From the Windows Start Menu find the MiKTeX group and start the "MiKTeX Console" program. A selection can then be made to run in administrative mode or user mode. Select Settings item on the left and then the the Directories tab. Click the plus icon and then Navigate to the directory c:\texlive\texmf-local and with this directory selected click Select Folder. Use the Tasks menu and select Refresh file name database to make sure files in the added directory can be found. The MiKTeX Console program can be closed when these steps are completed.
Online documentation for the MiKTeX Console program can be found at: Manage your TeX installation with MiKTeX Console
You should now be able to start SW and use PDF Preview and have the PDF file created using MiKTeX.